Saturday 30 August 2014

Finally visited Yong Siak Street

For the longest time, I've wanted to visit Yong Siak Street to visit the many cafes there but due to the distance and mainly the lack of friends who were interested in cafe hopping with me, that plan to visit never happened....until today.





The problem about going to Yong Siak Street during lunch time on a Saturday afternoon was firstly, the scorching hot sun that was glaring down on me and my friend as we navigated through the neighborhood trying to spot all the different cafes, each time taking a peek to see if it was pack, and always disappointed by the fact that it was.




I had thought that when I went to Yong Siak Street, cafes would be lined side by side and cafe hopping would essentially just mean dropping by 1 cafe, trying a few cakes and coffee, exiting the cafe and entering the next one beside it, but that was not the case at all because all the different cafes were spread all around the neighborhood and it was extremely confusing and sticky and hot and just plain uncomfortable.




Decided to settle our lunch first at this small restaurant that didn't look very pack, ordered from their brunch menu and was extremely underwhelmed by the actual dish, 3 sausages of different meat and colour, a side of scrambled eggs and a bit of salad ,which really was just arugula and balsamic vinegar mixture, tossed at the side... the dish cost me $17. It was fucking expensive and the dish itself wasn't even that good, it's not bad but it's definitely not a dish I would fork out $17 for. Kinda realized at that moment why the shop was so empty when all the other cafes were pretty much packed to the brim.... that being said, the service was quite good, so they have that going for them, which is nice.




After that, we decided to go to Plain Vanilla to maybe grab a cupcake and coffee, place was pack as fuck, the communal table they had was pretty much full and the side table with the high stools were all occupied by who I assume to be students. Decided since our plan was to explore the area, we walked around the neighborhood many times searching for a place to sit down and have a coffee. Everywhere was packed and we ended up walking for an hour, my hair was literally dripping with sweat and my whole body was very sticky, it felt like I have just completed my guard duty as sentry under the hot sun, wearing my LBV.




We gave up after a while, decided to just go to 7-11 to get a drink and went to the playground to do some catching up.... and then before going home, pop by Plain Vanilla again and each bought cupcakes. Sadly by the time we reached there, they only had 5 flavors left and a few mini bundt cakes plus other bakes that weren't really catching my interest, and then we took a cab home because I just wanted to go home and take a bath to get rid of that stickiness.




Thinking back now, I probably should have bought more than cupcakes.



New logo since I last patronized their shop at Holland Village. Out of all the cupcake stores I have visited, I still like their packaging the most. 


Cupcakes, awesome as always, and I dare say better than the ones at my bakery, I much prefer their sugary rich American buttercream style frosting over the super light french buttercream at my bakery.  Probably because I have been having light and airy buttercream for so long, it's nice to have a super diabetic-ish sugary one atop a cupcake.



Had the carrot cupcake and I honestly felt so satisfied after eating it. It was freaking awesome, didn't really enjoy the chocolate one that's smothered in cocoa nibs as much though. 





Made a 4 layer red velvet cake over the week as well, the first time a whole cake has come out so well.



Used the French Buttercream recipe from the bakery, great consistency for pipping the rosettes.


4 layers is a lot so the slices I cut were very thin. 


And there was a lot of buttercream as well because I sucked at portioning it out, ended up having to scrap the butter cream rosettes. Still good to eat though not as good as the one I make at the bakery, it always taste different when I bake them at home for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment