Wednesday 27 August 2014

Not Trustworthy

After the two horrible job interviews I had to go through, I decided to email the lady at the Institute about my experience, tone down without the vulgarities obviously, like constructive criticism to stop finding me all these piece of shit companies.




I wasn't really expecting to get any reply from them at all after that, thinking they would probably just cross me off their candidate list and put me in the "ungrateful" list.  And I was more than ready for that to happen because I got called up by another company call AcePLP to head down to their headquarters at fucking Bishan to get an interview. What the fuck is up with all this companies being located so far away from me.



Decided since I was pretty much a headless chicken at this point with no job opportunities in sight, why not? But prior to the interview, it's always important to check what other people have to say about it, so I ended finding information in the hardwarezone forum and there were 2 polarizing opinions, they either think the company is a "bloodsucking company" that treats their students like slaves OR they are the best industry in the world that has helped countless people get a job in the industry.




The ones who were kissing up to the institute sounded very very suspicious though because NONE of them were students themselves but rather friends of people who have gone through the program, and despite not being part of the program, they understand the way it works like they have been through it themselves. It was very dubious the way they kept trying to promote the benefits of joining the company...




"The institute has help a friend I know gain the knowledge and now he has a pretty high paying job in the construction industry"




"I think it's a good place for people with no experience prior to join, they train you and help you look for jobs. If I could join I would, but I'm not interested in CAD drawings."



Of course it's in like horrible English with shit ass spelling "lyk dis"... it's like they are trying to write a testimonial, but for a friend because all the people who wrote those aren't actually graduates of the course but rather friends of people who have gone through the course. Not suspicious at all.


They were also constantly calling out to people who were dissing the company, calling them morons or troublemakers because there's no way anyone would have trouble with completing the courses, if anyone is at fault, it's you for being a moron.


No connection to the institute whatsoever but gets offended when someone puts the institute in a bad light, offended enough for them to call this people out and write a whole chunk of text defending the institute against all this naysayers who are soiling the reputation of the institute.




In the end, I decided to back out of the interview. That and also the fact that there's a 2 year bond that I will have to serve, I don't want to be travelling back and forth from Bukit Timah to Bishan everyday, that's nuts and apparently there are hidden terms and conditions that they don't really tell you when you are signing the bond, terms and conditions that are hidden and only revealed when you decide to quit midway and they sue the bejesus out of you. I don't think it's hidden as the forum users put it, but just not brought to your attention when you are signing the bond, it's probably written on like the 15th page, on the 5th line of the 3rd Paragraph or something... 14 pages after you have stopped bothering to read the entire thing.





Anyways, just a few hours ago, I received a call from the lady from the other institution informing me that she has read my email. That was a bit of a shocker but I think she felt like she owed me an explanation regarding the whole matter and after speaking to her for a bit, she decided to "look into the matter" and will continue searching for companies for me that are looking for designers and not fucking sales man, so that's good, although I won't be putting too much hope with the companies she is searching for me because the last 2 were really a huge waste of my time.... not that I had anything else to do.




So all that's left to do now is to start spamming companies with my cover letters and resume and hope that some kind soul will be willing to take me in. One thing I can't stand about how some companies post their job ads though is how they only put "Interior Designer" as the Job Title but don't actually tell you it's a "Sales Designer" position until you actually click the ad and see in the bottom..



"Basic Salary with Attractive Commission"   



More attractive for the boss that's for sure,and the basic normally only last for 1 to 3 months, and after that, it's your turn to pay the boss through your commissions, they leave that out until the interview... Too bad I can't filter all this jobs out, so bloody annoying. If it's a sales position then put it as an ad looking for a "Sales Designer" instead of just leaving it as "Interior Designer", there are people in this world that actually go through Poly and University for years honing their craft in Interior Design, and then there are those that get hired by companies that are looking for sales designers with no qualification.



There's something about such people who are not design trained with no design background calling themselves designers that I find very irksome. Decorator would be more fitting, not a designer. It's like me calling myself a pastry chef because I have gone through a 5 week certificate program at a culinary school and spend 6 months working as a pastry cook. If I told this to a French Pastry Chef, he will probably spit on my face..... because I am Asian and I heard they are pretty racist.



It's because of one bad working experience that has forever soiled my impression of sales designer.

2 comments:

  1. Timothy加入aceplp。
    我的电邮是hurtbychenchen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..
    i just joined.. trained at least 1 month now..
    i think i am going to site attachment soon.

    is it that bad..

    ReplyDelete