Friday 7 February 2014

Just a daily blog....

I started my day today by going for my Basic Theory Test.




From the get go I wasn't really confident about passing it because it has been 2 months, give or take, since I actually took the evaluation and passed that one, of course I was hoping I'd pass on the first try and get the whole thing over and done with.  What I didn't except though was to fail the test by a single point. Passing mark was 45/50 and I got 44/50, what are the odds, seriously, failed by 1 point, those damn road signs all look so similar. Now I have to wait another 2 months before I can take the test again, probably to fail another round. Oddly enough I wasn't that upset about it, I am just surprised I actually almost pass... my Final Theory Test is probably gonna be fucked if I ever pass my Basic Theory Test.




My initial goal was to get my license within 4 months, but then that goal sort of took a backseat when I realize how disinterested I was in automobiles and anything related to it, all I want is the convenience of driving around in a car and reaching my destination in 20 minutes rather than an hour and a half with probably a splitting headache from motion sickness if the ride is gonna take that long. And it's been a while since I actually studied for a test for a topic that I am not really interested in.




The last test I took was the hygiene test in the culinary course, but that was okay because I am actually interested in baking and since the hygiene thing was related I was more or less able to absorb some information from the Chef Instructors as they were teaching them to me... a bit like a sponge, once the test was over I just squeeze that little nugget of knowledge and let all that information back out into the wild.





So I went home and decided to do some therapeutic baking after getting butter and sugar from Cold Storage. Attempted to make some chocolate cupcakes for my Mum's friends who were coming over in the evening and in my head, I was already imagining how it would look with the frosting on it. 




I made the cupcakes using baking powder instead of baking soda, and the recipe actually called for both, which meant that I actually added double the amount of baking powder and no baking soda.  A few weeks ago I actually went to the store specially to get baking soda and I actually only realized I bought the wrong one this afternoon... 




What the fuck brain?




"Baking is a science, measurements need to be precise or everything will not turn out right."



Wouldn't I know anything about that. Suffice to say I threw the whole batch of failed chocolate cupcakes into the bin, if they can even be called cakes, disgusting little buggers. I actually used up the remaining bar of Lindtt White Chocolate in the cupcake batter, the bar of white chocolate meant to satisfy my creme brulee cravings, because now I fucking love creme brulee and what's better than normal creme brulee? White Chocolate Creme Brulee.




My Mum then decided to drive me to get the baking soda to make more cupcakes and after that horrible failure I decided to make vanilla one instead. So I got the baking soda and some heavy whipping cream because she doesn't like her buttercream to be too sweet. On the way home I decided to ask her to drop by Courts and get the stand mixer. 


What I settled for because I am unemployed and don't have the luxury to spend as much as I would have liked to.


Compared to the KitchenAid that I was planning to get, this one is actually pretty ugly because it's made of plastic and just looks really clunky and cheap, which it kinda is, that's why I bought it because I have no income at the moment, the only "income" I got this month was from the red packets I received from CNY, hopefully next month I will actually start getting actual pay checks again instead of more red packets for my birthday.



It does the job of whipping the cream, but I really can't stand the batter mixer, it's looks like the balloon whisk's underachieving younger brother. But it's a pretty good machine despite it's clunky looks and it was only $199 so that was pretty cheap. 




Oreo Cookies and Cream Cupcake.


Second time's the charm with a different recipe,hopefully that also applies to my BTT,  opted for a vanilla cupcake instead and made the whipped cream using the recipe from the restaurant I was working at because that was the only recipe I remembered, even bought the same whipping cream, which after making it myself and tasting it, realized that it actually taste like shit, had a very strong vegetable oil taste to it... that's what I get for using non diary whipping cream. 



It's like whenever I make something by myself at home from scratch, I get super anal about the quality of it, so I decided to masked that disgusting taste with a shitload of Oreo cookie crumbs as evident in the picture.  The cake base was moist and soft like a cake should be, but the flavour wasn't quite there, good thing there was the whipped cream.... would have been so much better with Swiss meringue buttercream, which now i will be able to make without having to worry about getting carpal tunnel syndrome thanks to the new stand mixer.

No comments:

Post a Comment