Friday 15 September 2023

10th Cycle - Small Updates and iPhone stuff.

09.04.2023


I was very tempted to upgrade my iPhone 14 Pro to the latest iPhone 15 Pro that was introduced earlier today by Apple. 


With how much leaks that had been happening even before the official announcement, I kinda already knew what to expect, which was mainly the introduction of the USB-C port, but then with everything else being pretty much identical, it is really not worth the "upgrade"? Maybe, if I had still been using my Android, this iPhone 15 buy would make sense, but as of right now, paying $1,600 for a phone that is almost identical to my current one, but with the additional USB-C port, is not a very smart financial decision to make. Sure there are internal spec bumps and it's now made of titanium, but the only thing that I am interested in is the USB-C port, the rest of the upgrades are negligible to me because my current iPhone is already way more powerful than what I need it to be for my day to day use.



I will say I am maybe about knee deep into the Apple ecosystem right now, owning the iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch, but thankfully, because I am not actually a Mac user, getting myself out of the ecosystem is still going to be easy for me, and after seeing what Apple has to offer, I will be steering clear from MacOS so I don't actually end up fully submerged in their ecosystem. I will be saving my money and just get a new leather case for my iPhone 14 Pro instead.

 



Reservist Cycle wise, there's nothing much to update, I have completed reading the Hunger Games prequel today during my duty, actually completed it during the first 90 minutes, and then I couldn't use my phone because there were a few Military Police who came into the camp today to vehicle spot check with our unit, which was really random, but they were only there till 8.45am, so after that, I was able to go back to using my phone again, which I used to watch Netflix and completed the One Piece Live Action series, it was surprisingly good, I don't follow the manga or anime, and I am not about to start because there are wayyyyy too many episodes (20 seasons totaling 1000 episodes) and chapters (also 1000 chapters) to keep up, but it was a fun series to watch.




Right now, I will need another book to keep me occupied for my remaining 3 duties.





15.9.2023


Third last duty today in camp, the active who was doing the duty with me was an active Sergeant, so that was surprising, but I didn't really have any conversation with him during our 6 hour stint together. I could tell he was really bored, but I really couldn't find any topic to start a conversation for us to kill time together.


I spend majority of the time scrolling Tik-Tok and reading a sample of a novel I might get called The Witching Hour on Kindle, it's quite a big sample, according to Kindle, it will take me 3 hours and 30 minutes to complete it, so we shall see how good that book is and whether I will commit to getting the entire novel, because it is actually part of a Trilogy, so that will be many many hours of reading which will definitely extend beyond my Reservist cycle. 



There are only 2 more rounds of Guard Duty left for me and I will be done with it forever! Hopefully I will feel sentimental about it and then the duties will "feel too short" to be over. 





I have also just Pre-Ordered the iPhone 15 Pro Max in 512GB....

... for potential scalping purposes, 



I thought the stocks will be low because....



1.  The official Apple Pre-Order website was not working at 8.00pm when the Pre-Order was suppose to open, I thought it was due to super high traffic.



2. The official Apple Reseller store on Shopee was accepting the Pre-Order at 8.00pm sharp, but by the time I tried to look at what they had that was available, after my attempts at trying to access the official Apple Pre-Order website site failed, most of the stocks had been wiped out.



....so everything looked like it was pointing towards a low stock count.



Which is why when I could finally access the official apple store, I made my order really quickly without thinking too much and right now, got the iPhone 15 Pro Max, 512GB in Natural Titanium, which I would assume is their flagship color, got to the confirmation page, confirmed the order and I got my delivery date.




When that was done, I went back to the Pre-Order page to see how everything was like, to check if the anything had gone out of stock within that minute that I had spend just speed ordering the iPhone.



No changes.


30 minutes later, I  went back to check and still no difference. it seems like the stock is still quite healthy.


The stocks isn't low. I can't scalp the phone if the stocks ain't low, so I will probably just end up cancelling my Pre-Order tomorrow. The phone is $2,319!I can get a 24" iMac with that money,  plus I have just gotten a new leather case for my iPhone 14 Pro along with another Lighting Cable, so I'm not going to be keeping the new iPhone 15 Pro.



Update : 16.09.2023


Just cancelled the iPhone 15 Pro Max order this morning. I had went to look at the stock on Apple's website for the model and it seems like they do have the quantity required to meet the demand, it's just a matter of how late the consumers will get their phone.



When I had placed my pre-order at 8.30pm last night, which is like maybe a few minutes after their Pre-Order page finally went live, I was given a delivery date between 27th Sept - 2nd Oct, but when I do a pre-order now with the exact specifications, it will only be delivered between 7th Nov - 15th Nov, which is an additional month, it's not really good for scalping if the waiting period is that short compared to what I was expecting, I was hoping it would be like PS5 level of low stock count, whereby the console cannot be bought by regular consumers for years because the scalpers were constantly buying them in bulk, and those scalpers were then selling it for double the price and people were actually paying those ridiculous price just to own one. The PS5 was released in late 2020 and it only got readily available early this year, it took Sony almost 2 years before they could meet the quantity demands of the consumers, but Apple doesn't seem to be having that problem.



I am guessing a lot of people probably aren't actually keen to get the new iPhone 15 as well, that's why the stock count is still relatively healthy, because it is very similar to the iPhone 14 and most of the major updates are pretty incremental changes, design wise, there is also not much changes, it still looks like the iPhone 14, which looked like the iPhone 13, which looked like the iPhone 12, which is really just a rehash of the original iPhone 4.


Apple didn't just lose Steve Jobs, they also lost Jony Ives.



A part of me was also contemplating to just buy it and then keep it, leave it unopened so I could potentially sell it for a lot of money years down the road, but who am I kidding, the moment I get it, I will most likely open it within a few weeks and start using it. The main factor that really pulled me back on the idea of just have my Pre-Order be processed was the fact that I had already gotten a $70 leather case for my current iPhone from Shopee, along with the purchase of an additional lighting cable, if I hadn't gotten those items, I might have gotten myself the iPhone 15 Pro.



Well, good news is I have saved myself from shelling out $2,319.00 for something I do not need at all, so I have decided to go buy another perfume decant from Shopee. I thought my Perfume obsession is slowly dying down, but the fact that I just went to pay $20 to get another 5ml decant of a niche perfume brand called Parfums De Marly is prove that it hasn't. 




Next item I buy will be a full size bottle of one of the niche perfumes, or maybe the Vanilla Mod fragrance by Ariana Grande. I tried the Billie Eilish fragrance as well because it is a Vanilla perfume as well, but  Mod Vanilla is still superior. Eilish 1.0 smells like Vanilla Ice Cream whereas Mod Vanilla really smells like Vanilla bean.

No comments:

Post a Comment