Monday 4 September 2023

10th Cycle - Day 2

The long weekend has come and gone and today is my 2nd day back for my reservist. 



Everything went by really quickly today, weapons training was done within an hour, after which we were given a 15 minutes break that ended up lasting for 2 hours, during which time we also had our lunch and froze our ass off in the training room because there was air-conditioning with the ceiling fan and wall fan all turned on at the same time.


Right after that excessive break, another training spec came in to run a few more slides with us and it was great, he jokingly asked us what time we wanted him to end and someone said 1.30pm,  it was about 1.15pm when he started, so he opened the slide and started reading what was on the slide word for word, but when he moved on to the next slide, he looked at it for a bit and went...



"Okay, not important, next."




....and then for the next few slides after, it was all mainly just....




"Doesn't concern you guys, next."

"Not important, next"



... and we ended up skipping like 80% of the slides, which allowed him to end the training at 1.27pm.




I really like his style. 



He doesn't waste our time going through all the unnecessary fluff that had been prepared solely to hold us in camp, he only went through what was relevant to us and that was it. Sweet and simple.



After that, we were released and our training for this cycle is officially over, so that's day 2 for me.






The next time I report to camp, it will be to properly starting doing our Guard Duties. 


Our Guard Duty schedule also came out and I will be doing as much hours as I did for the last cycle.


The last cycle, I did a total of 60 hours worth of Guard Duty over a 2 weeks period, that was the maximum hours that could be imposed on us and the Active Commanders took full advantage of that. The ICT commanders for the last Reservist Cycle was just really shit at negotiating a better arrangement for us, so all the ICT personnel's had no choice and ended up suffering because of it. 



The ICTs were doing more Guard Duties hours than the active personnel's, some active soldiers were even doing less than half the hours we were doing. Looking back, I really should have just written in to MINDEF to complaint, but alas, that was back in February, so it's probably too late to do that now.



Thankfully, the ICT Commander for this cycle seems to be better at negotiating, so he also got everyone 60 hours worth of Guard Duty individually max, (I might only be doing 54 hours and my friend will probably only be doing 48 hours worth) but that is 60 hours spread over a course of 3 weeks, which is a significantly better deal because that means I don't have to report to camp everyday. 



The Specs have already planned out our duties earlier this afternoon, and my emplacements are actually not bad, a lot of morning and some afternoon duties but also a lot are in air-conditioned areas, compared to my last cycle, this is considered amazing, it's not the best, but it's definitely not the worst, as long as no one goes get an MC and fucks everyone else's schedule like that celebrity bugger during my last cycle, I will say I am generally quite satisfied with the arrangement.

No comments:

Post a Comment