Tuesday 8 November 2016

New Gadget

After getting confirmed for my new job, I decided it would be a good idea to get a new laptop, one that would only be used for work related purposes. It didn't have to be powerful, but I wanted it to be small and light so I don't have to feel like I'm lugging a newborn baby whenever I was carrying it.


I say I'm buying it for the job, but I just really wanted a valid excuse to get a new gadget and getting this new laptop would make me feel obligated to stay in this job and not quit 3 days later because it's too hard. Now that I think about it, I really don't think it's a very good idea because I haven't even started work yet and I'm not sure if I will actually really feel obligated to stay if I really hated the job, just because I bought a laptop for it.


HP Pavillion X-2


I made my purchase on Friday from HP, decided to buy it online and have them deliver the laptop to me because I'm just too lazy to go to the shop to look at other models, the delivery arrived today after a bit of hiccup and I actually had a bit of buyer's remorse when I first booted it up.




Upon the machine's start-up, I went ahead and installed the necessities like Chrome, WinRAR, VLC and all the other freewares that I normally have, all with the help of Microsoft Edge, and it was extremely choppy from the get go that I was actually quite taken aback.  This was a brand new laptop I had just removed from the packaging not even an hour ago and it's already struggling to maintain a smooth internet surfing experience with Chrome, that's really pretty shit.




My end goal was to install my Illustrator and Photoshop on the machine and initially I wasn't sure if the laptop was actually able to run those programs, but to witness how pathetic it was at trying to remain functioning without just going straight to BSOD, all that hope for it to be able to run the programs I wanted it to run just went down the drain.




Decided that something must be up because there's no way the laptop can be such a piece of shit, so I opened the Task Manager to see what was up and lo and behold, it turns out the FREE McAfee Virus Scanner that I got with the laptop was chugging up 50% of the computer's ram, 50 fucking percent taken my by the Virus Scanner that's suppose to protect your computer from viruses so it can run smoother, the fucking irony. I can't believe it's being given as a Free Gift, like it's suppose to entice customers to get the laptop even more, I mean if anything, having that Virus Scanner installed is more like a huge pain in the ass.



Needless to say, I uninstalled that piece of shit and the laptop started to run a lot smoother, like A LOT smoother, I was able to install Illustrator and Photoshop, both of which works great, not super smooth but I can't complaint for a $500 laptop. Even if at the end of the day, it ends up being not strong enough to function as my main work laptop, I've always wanted to get a tablet and this is it.

1 comment:

  1. Have used AVG Anti virus for a few years now, I'd recommend this solution to everyone.

    ReplyDelete