Monday 3 March 2014

Rejected

I was offered a position as an In-House Designer 2 days ago. This was after 2 months of job hunting, sending out countless resumes and a few unsuccessful job interviews.





And I rejected the offer. which was probably not a very good idea, but the thought of having to do an Interior Designer's job for probably the next decade or life time isn't exactly what I was looking for. It's just so boring to me even though it's design related. The trial run I went for was so mind-numbingly boring I was secretly hoping I wouldn't be chosen for the position.




Interior Design was probably the most boring design related course I could have gone for, everything about it revolved around houses and furniture which I don't really give a fuck about and that lack of interest isn't going to make any designs I come up with interesting or engaging to anyone.... probably the reason why my results in school were bordering on mediocrity.




All that "spatial experience" learned and experimented in school projects isn't going to translate well in the real world where home owners want their house to feel like a home and not an exhibition space where their chairs and tables are all just sticks "emerging from the ground like how a sapling would before they become trees that would provide us with oxygen" coupled with an angled mirror hung on the ceiling as a tool for "reflecting the natural sunlight that aids the saplings in photosynthesis" to light up the whole room. No one is going to want that, what they want is IKEA and Home-Fix.




At the end of the day, Interior Design in the real world just isn't as interesting to me as it was in school, before I was looking for a Interior Design job, I was actually looking for position as a graphic designer, that didn't pan out so well since I was lacking both skills and qualification. Interior Design was just my fall back, one that isn't very comfortable to fall back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment