Sunday 19 August 2018

Exhausting

Right now, I am getting a client who is interested to sign a contract with me, but the feeling between us isn't mutual.



After dealing with the issues I had to deal with yesterday, I finally had a bit of time to run through the requirements of my client from my appointment yesterday. During the consultation with the husband, as friendly as he was, I was just extremely disinterested in his project because the wife, who was not present during our meeting yesterday, had a lot of requirements that were just really hard to work with.




They want to renovate their kitchen walls and replace all the tiles, in order to actually remove the tiles, we would first have to remove the existing carpentry that are in the way and anything else that is obstructing the tiles, I had originally told the wife that by removing all the items, it would be easier for my contractors to do their job and that if they were not removed, there will be a high chance of those carpentry getting damaged, she understood what I was saying and agreed to it, but suddenly changed her tune weeks later and requested for some of the existing carpentry to be left alone because they were still in a good condition, her goal was to redo as little items as possible in an attempt to save cost.




It just doesn't make any sense to me because since you are already forking out so much money to renovate the kitchen, why are you trying to scrimp all of a sudden and make things unnecessarily difficult for my contractors, and it's not just the carpentry she wants to be left on the wall for my contractors to work around, there is a sliding glass door that she doesn't want us to touch as well. The glass door is literally blocking a portion of the wall when it is slide to on side, and she wants it to be left untouched when we hack the kitchen walls....




Firstly, it is going to be a huge hindrance and secondly, it's a sliding door that is made of glass, there is going to be an extremely high chance the it will shatter when the hacking begins. Just completely unnecessary, I told them the husband we can dismantle it and install it after the work is completed, but the wife didn't want to dismantle it because she is afraid it will get damage if we dismantle it.







The husband was really receptive to my suggestion to dismantle everything during the renovation and he kept asking me to give him a valid reason on why it would be best to dismantle, so he can also convince his wife to do the same, so I just kept reiterating that there is a huge risk the existing items will get damaged if we don't dismantle them, and since they are already renovating, just go all the way and change everything instead of doing it half-fuck, he kept giving me the thumbs up but I honestly doubt he will be able to convince his wife.




This project sounds like a pain to deal with, it is located way too far from my place and the combination of those 2 factors is enough to kill inkling of interest I may have had for the project, which was already pretty minuscule to begin with.




I have gotten projects that I weren't interested in getting before and I always regret saying "Yes" to them because they are never ever smooth sailing, not to say my other projects are a dream to run, but those that I just do not have any sort of positive feeling towards from the start always end up becoming a nightmare to deal with when it starts.



At least with the last project that I unwillingly got my hands on, the location was within a walking distance from my home, so if there were any issues, and there were quite a few, I could just walk over in 15 minutes to deal with it, but this new project is a 90 minute ride away from where I stay, I can't be popping by everyday to check up on it's progress, I will grow to hate the project and that will in turn make me hate the clients, and they are a nice couple so I really do not want to grow to dislike them during the course of the renovation.



A part of me also doesn't want to get any new projects anymore because I am just feeling really exhausted from managing projects at this point. I still like Interior Design, I just don't like the project management aspect of it because I don't like dealing with the clients, especially with how difficult sly fox ended up turning out to be, getting new clients at this point feels like I am punishing my future self.



I am trying to find a new job right now, I just can't find a suitable one at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment