Friday 4 April 2014

So much shyt...

Had no choice but to take my day off for the week today.



Would've love to have my day off on one of the weekends rather than have it during the weekday, spending my weekends slogging away in the kitchen isn't exactly the most fun thing to do, but alas, I had to prioritize and put my Basic Theory Test first since I had already booked the slot for the test today 2 months ago after I failed my first attempt.



Managed to pass today's test, which came as a surprise to me because I did not revise at all the past 2 months after I failed my first attempt, which sucked so bad because I failed by one point, the same score the guy who was seated next to me today during the test got. Because I did not think I would pass, I didn't actually listen to whatever the instructors were saying before the test started about "getting your provisional driving license after you have passed your test today", so when I actually passed, all I knew was that I had to register for something afterwards, but then decided to screw it because I'm probably not going to have the time to actually go for the practical lessons with my work life now taking up most of my time.



Talking about work, I have officially been working for the bakery for about 3 weeks now, the work load has been steadily increasing, evident by the fact that this past week, I have been working over time for at least an hour everyday, and apparently as the week progresses, I will be shouldering more job responsibilities like making cake pops, which sounds fun, but when you have 10 kg to 15 kg worth of cake batter of different flavors to prepare and bake , rainbow cakes to make every other day and tubs after tubs of butter cream of be restocked every week, the last thing  you'd want is to have to be in-charge of making 100 over cake pops per week.




The cake batter part initially sounded therapeutic to me because that's what I tell the bosses of all the bakery I went to for an interview, that I like handling cake batter because I do.... at home.... in small batches that don't weigh over 5kg. The amount of effort it requires me to mix the cake batter by hand to ensure that all the flour, sugar and butter are incorporated after it had it's run at the industrial size mixer is enough to make my arms feel like I have just done the maximum amount of pulls up and anymore pushing would probably result in my pants getting soiled from sharting.





Good thing though is I still like handling cake batter, just not so much the part I have to transfer it to a pipping bag and then pipe them into the cupcake liners, repeat over and over again until the batter is done, it's very time consuming, the boss said it was faster but I would much prefer an ice cream scoop because it's less messy for me.




Rainbow cake is probably the thing I hate making the most in the bakery. It's because of that damn cake that I have to work OT, because of how bloody time consuming it is to make.




These are the steps...



1. Prepare a shit load of Vanilla Cake batter.


2. Measure out a portion of the cake batter and add a shit load of food coloring into the cake batter, you might think it's too much food coloring but don't be fooled, disregard that nagging feeling you have about having too much chemicals in your cake because you're gonna need more.


3. Pour vanilla cake batter that's choked full of food coloring chemicals into prepared cake tin because natural organic food coloring isn't going to bring out the vibrancy of a rainbow.


4. Bake that heap of unicorn poop.


5. Clean up the bowl to prepare for the next color.


6. Repeat Step 2


7.Remove cake from oven and allow it to cool.


8. Once cooled, which could take anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes, remove cake from tin.


9. Pour new color cake batter into the empty cake tin and repeat until you get all the colors of the fucking rainbow.



10. Take a picture and post it on Instagram with the hash-tag  #fuckingwasteoftime



The person who decided to invent the rainbow cake should have been born colorblind.




I would be able to bake a lot more products if I didn't have to waste so much time with the damn rainbow cake. The feelings I have for preparing the rainbow cake in this bakery is the same as the feelings I had when I had to prepare the chocolate souffle in the restaurant I was working at....Loathe, loathe for the person who decided to order it.



We offer delicious red velvet cakes, chocolate cakes, vanilla cakes, strawberry cakes that you can pair with vanilla frosting that's speckled throughout with vanilla beans, cream cheese frosting, decadent salted caramel feeling and so much more but nooo~, you want to order the one with the most artificial ingredients inside because of how it looks.


I guess I'm just not the type of person who will go for looks over flavor when it comes to cakes, that's why I don't really understand the hype behind a rainbow cake and why people would be willing to pay so much more for a cake that taste exactly like a normal vanilla cake when at the end of the day, it's going to come out from their ass looking like a hot pile of pre-rolled cake pop dough.



If I wanted to order a cake from the bakery, I would probably go for a chocolate cake with salted caramel frosting, simple flavors that pack so much more punch than the dumb rainbow cake, so much effort but nothing special in terms of flavor, which sounds completely ridiculous to me for something that's meant to be enjoyed when eaten. If I wanted a rainbow, I would go buy a unicorn and feed it beans for breakfast lunch and dinner so it can fart me a rainbow every half an hour depending on how it's digestive system works.




Butter cream is actually not so bad to make, because the mixer is doing all the job, it's a Swiss meringue styled butter cream recipe, sometimes I'd wish they use American Butter cream instead, would be saving me a lot of time with the mise en place.That being said though, the clean up for any sort of butter cream recipe afterwards is always a pain. It's already not easy to clean the small mixing I used to prepare the buttercream in , much less a huge industrial size mixing bowl, it's so oily and the water just doesn't want to clean away all the small scraps of buttercream that's clinging on the the side of the bowl so desperately, and even when the bowl looks clean, it's still going to feel extremely greasy and oily.





Hopefully the cake pop responsibility won't be endowed to me so soon otherwise my overtime is gonna go over the roof and I will truly be working in a minimum wage job.





Also signed the contract last week so that makes me an employee of the bakery now, one that's still on probation and will be on probation for the next 6 months. I don't really like signing contracts because it makes everything sound so "legal" with conditions like...



"You can't replicate the recipes of the bakery for monetary and non-monetary gains otherwise legal actions will be taken against you..." so even if I were to have the recipes memorized in my head, I can't make a batch at home to satisfy my craving for a good bakery quality cupcake.



"There will be no Over-Time pay..." None at all, so if you work Overtime, your hardworking attitude will not be recognized at all, it's just you not working up to speed, that's all.


"You shall not discuss your salary with anyone..." probably because of how low the pay is.



"If you were to violate any of the conditions, the company will have the right you terminate your contract immediately without prior notice..." Yeah, that's if I don't quit first.





The boss is a relatively nice person but apparently the last baker quit because the boss got too demanding during the festive season and had set a bar so high that it was impossible to reach for the baker. I heard this from one of the other baker when I decided to break the ice and silence with some questions... and also because I love to gossip, so if that side of her starts to show, then I am probably gonna do the same because the main crux of why I quit my last few jobs were mainly because the people that I was working with started becoming unbearable. ... which puts me in the same position as Taylor Swift, if all your relationships aren't going well, the problem probably lies with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment