Wednesday 1 January 2014

Happy New Year.

It's a new year.  Yay~!



The idea of New Year only makes an impact on students, for me it is anyway because that just means I have to wake up early at 6 am and go back to school the next day.



Like how animals view time, the new year isn't really doing anything special for me... probably because I don't actually have much of a social life so there's nothing to look back to and reminiscence. And new year resolutions are essentially things you can do the year before but decide not to and leave it for 2014 like the procrastinators you are.




I have never bothered to make a resolution before because I know I am not going to follow through with the list of things I have written down.


1. Make a million dollar by the end of the year.

2. Be a better person and open up a charitable organisation.

3. Donate a million dollar to my own charitable organisation.

4. Make my charitable organisation global and collect donations from everyone around the world.

5. Embezzle the money from the organisation.

6. Built a rocket to fly to space and built an empire on Mars.



Sounds legit.



Was busy working on New Year's Eve because I had forgotten it was a public holiday that day, and not surprisingly, there were a lot of customers during lunch time, my work timing was extended due to insufficient manpower and I ended up working an extra half an hour, probably unpaid. The day before I had to work an extra 2 hours, fully paid of course but at the expense of my lunch break being pushed all the way back from 4 pm to 6 pm... which is technically makes it dinner. I did not get a good night sleep that night, woke up in the middle of the night looking for food.




The work pace in a restaurant is not something that I can mentally prepare myself for, and I am starting to think working in that particular pastry station is just a bad idea. The hot kitchen cooks who had to cover the pastry station didn't enjoy doing it, the manager who was send into the kitchen to learn to ropes also wasn't interested in getting back into the pastry station to work after my replacement yesterday asked her to help out, no one wants to work in that pastry kitchen because no one wants to be stuck doing a 2 man job for 12 hours alone. And it also doesn't help that the 3 newly hired pastry cooks were send to the other outlet... leaving my side with only me as the full fledged pastry cook.





That's a valid reason to quit, overworked and underpaid... and I'm not even working there on a daily basis for 12 hours a day, I'm only doing an average of 6 hours for 2 day a week, and for that 6 hours, I am always working my ass off,  it's no wonder the full time hot kitchen cook who has to take over my side when I am either not working or am knocking off for work can be such a dick at times.





Good thing is now my priority isn't for the restaurant but for the other pastry shop central kitchen. Hopefully that one goes well... and if it doesn't, that's what my Singapore Polytechnic Diploma there for... to fall back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment