Monday 9 September 2013

Well that's long...

While working at my father's office today, I remembered how anal most of my co-workers were at the previous few companies that I've worked in when they ask for your help. By few I mean two because that's how bothered I am about looking for jobs during school breaks... even though I didn't bother to find any job, I did feel extremely useless at home, and then Procrastination told me I will get a job later in life, which made me feel better about rotting at home.



So I digress....


Part of the reason why I left my previous job, out of the mountain of reasons I have, valid or invalid is UP for ME to decide so it's definitely a mountain and not a molehill, was because I was helping this colleague do her presentation to show one of her clients because she had a shitload of clients and I was happy to help because I was literally do nothing all day except scrolling through Pinterest pretending I was looking for "inspiration" when in actual fact, my eyelids were battling with gravity because I was so freaking bored....  that's why I hate commission based, because to earn money, I have to actually do stuff, whereas with a monthly salary, I can spend the entire day "looking for inspiration" on Pinterest and still get paid.... well they are really paying me for successfully not giving in to the temptation and letting my head go and have it smack against the filthy keyboard of my laptop.



And I digress again... when I digress, it's a good thing because when I don't, it means my brain is dead and needs to be brought back to life.... and that also pretty much equates to a shitty post.





So I did her presentation and found pictures that I thought were pretty decent, I am pretty anal when it comes to picking pictures, I am so anal in fact, that the likes I give on Instagram are just plain selfish, I only like the photos of people who like my photo on a regular basis, or people whose photo are actually good, well more on the latter. I put so much effort into taking a proper shot and I only get 3 likes , and then I see other people who have taken a blurry picture that's out of focus, of themselves eating rojak in the middle of the night with the worst lighting ever, and that shit gets 50 likes.




So I managed to get around 20 to 30 pictures for my colleague, all of which are pretty good if I may say so myself... brought it to her and she asked me to present it to her picture by picture, to get an idea of how to present it to the client, and by the way, I am not getting any share of her commission by helping her, the idea is for me to "learn the ropes", me, a diploma holder in that field, learning from a greenhorn who has worked in the field for 4 months with no prior experience in school... not just in the field but in design. Granted the working world is very different from school, but being exposed to Interior Design for 3 years has got to count for something, and it's just 4 months from her side.


She looked through my slides and outright rejected almost 80% of it. Told me to look for contemporary, and I did, most of them ARE contemporary and she said they weren't because there were wooden elements inside. Said they were too Scandinavian.


Okay, contemporary designs are essentially "designs that are popular now".... and she always told me that "Scandinavian is really popular nowadays"...   WHICH MEANS THAT Scandinavian IS CONTEMPORARY.  She made me really hate the idea of contemporary design, and it was of course impossible to find anymore pictures for her afterwards when she told me to redo because her concept of contemporary wasn't actually contemporary. So she told me she wanted shiny surface and clean, and of course in my mind, I went straight to minimalism.... and then she told me it wasn't what she wanted because it was minimalist and not contemporary.... and then she asked me to help her with another one, and then I quit.




It's so annoying when the people you are helping have their head so high up their ass they don't even listen to what you have to say to defend yourself.... or to prove them wrong.



The other one I met who had her head so high her ass she came out of her own mouth and created a wormhole, was this girl whom I met during my internship. Me and my group of intern friends, also known as the underpaid workers, were tasked with cutting out boards to make a material board display, which is essentially cutting out a frame and sticking that frame onto another cardboard, exactly what minimum wage employees do.



So she took a board that she herself did, and she told us the measurements, and the fact that she actually has a board that she crafted herself just proved to us how low she was at the corporate ladder, it was probably just like a few feet above the underpaid interns.


After she did the briefing and introduction to the equipment we will need, she proceeded to leave us be and went on to do more important stuff, like getting coffee for the person who gets coffee for the boss.



I did a bit of cutting and because I have the attention span of a goldfish, I can only be bothered to measure to the exact millimeter for only so long, I decided to do a little give and take and plus minus like literally one or two millimeters.... and I did a few boards while my friends assembled them together.



A few minutes later the girl came back and decided to do "quality control", and she switched on anal mode and measured everything to the exact millimeter. Mine were considered fail because they were off by a few millimeters, my plus minum did gradually increase overtime so I think I went off by like 5mm for one board, but considering that they were A2 size boards, 5mm is extremely minute. That's like when a girl with long hair cuts her hair short by a few inches and expect people to tell the difference, it used to be touching the end of her butt but now it's slightly above the crack, no difference because she's still going to get a massive headache from the weight of the hair tugging at her head. I get that though, when they assume people can tell the difference, because every time I cut my hair, I thought people will comment on it, but no one does because no one can tell the difference between short hair and short hair.



So I got a bit annoyed as she was piling up the rejects that I have so painstakingly cut out that I decided to one up her and measure her board that she left for us to see as an example and lo and behold, her shit was 3mm to 4mm off. Told her that hers wasn't accurate as well and she brushed it off and pretended she didn't hear.  Typical. Had to redo most of it, but after realizing that no matter how many times I did it, it was still going to be that 2mm or so off, she decided to just close one eye, God knows she has been closing one eye on her own work.



Gotta learn to practice what you preach, like my co-worker at my previous company, practice plagiarism, so she preach to us about embracing plagiarism. And she can really preach like a fucking priest in a Catholic church preaching to people about the sins of harboring thoughts of loving people of the same sex and then inviting little boys into the confession booth later that night for 7 minutes in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment