Monday 27 February 2012

Macaron



My Obsession with Macarons have returned!

A few months back I had this brilliant idea of making Macarons, seeing that all it needed was some egg white, a bit of almond powder and a lot of sugar, I thought it couldn't be too difficult. 


And I couldn't have been more wrong. One should never judge a recipe's simplicity by the number of ingredients required. 


But it turns out the only reason why my macarons failed so terribly was because I wasn't as good at beating egg whites with my barehands as I thought I would. Even though my forearm was violently shaking after making the egg whites as stiff as I possibly could, they still weren't up to standard, then I found out the reason I couldn't make it stiff was because I was wearing too much clothes. 



But then my Mum bought a hand mixer and my life changed forever. 


By my life I mean the macarons because have you seen the first picture. It's gorgeous, no where as good as Pierre Herme but this is not about his macaron. It's about mine.


Anyways....
Recipe can be found here. David Lebovitz


Process... 

Tablespoon and Diabetes mixture.

So what you have to do first is mix the Chocolate Powder, Powdered Sugar and Almond Powder together. Mix all the powdered stuff together, throw in a bit of heroin if you are planning to sell this to people and want them to get hook on your macarons. 

Humpty Dumpty didn't fall. Humpty Dumpty got his skull smashed against a marble tabletop.

Crack an egg, like the one above if you are as skilled and as lazy as me. I can't be bothered to transfer the yolk from shell to shell so I just tore it a new hole and let the egg white slip through the slit. 

You have to make sure the egg is as oil free as possible and if you are like me and have the cure to a drought in your hands, this is a good method. Of course there's always the possibility that the egg yolk will get pierced by the shell but if that happens just wash the bowl, dry it and use another egg. If you don't mind wasting food just throw it away, it's not like the kids in Africa are starving. There mustn't be any egg yolks in your whites because they are cock-blockers, the whites won't get stiff with yolks present.

Egg White in China

+

Sugar (With a Vanilla Pod in the middle just like Nigella's sugar)

+


Whipping action from a Hand Mixer and not your hand whisking the egg white manually because they will shake violently and then drop off from your shoulders.



=

Snow~!  Just pour in on the floor and have your kids make snow angels in them, and then throw your kids in the oven and you will have a Baked Alaska with Children Center


Stiff Peaks! Egg whites get really turned on when they are being whisked without yolks present. Just them, their hand mixer and a bit of sugar.



Snow and Diabetes Mixture

Next is macaronage. I like how mixing dry ingredients to wet ingredient has it's own name in macron making. So pretentious. But it's a skill and I have to admit I have not mastered it yet because I have no idea what mastering it means. You have to watch videos like me to learn how to do it properly, I watch a lot of macaron  making video and every time after watching finish the video I will try and make it myself, fail and then have to clean up my failure by eating all the macaron shells, which is like eating 2 cups of sugar. 


I admit it, I've been eating 2 cups of sugar, 1 egg white and 1/4 cup of almond powder everyday when I'm having an obsession episode.


Macaronage till it resembles lava.


That's what a lot of blogs say, till it reaches the consistency of lava. Because everyone who has ever baked has put a spatula in lava and stirred it around a bit before. So I shall offer a better advice. Just make sure it's like lava and you are fine.

OMFG IT'S A POCONG!


Fill it in a piping bag, or if you are cheap like me, just use a baking sheet and twist it till it resembles like the one above, cut a hole and pipe them on the baking sheet. 

POCONG has hidden treats if you squeeze it real hard. 



I actually eyeballed the piping sizes so they are of various sizes. Not too different so I'm really proud of myself and shall pad myself at the back.


Good job! Good job!



And when you bake the treats, they become....


Throw them in the oven at 160 degrees C and bake for 15 minutes. I have a really small oven so I could only make a small batch. If you have a huge oven then congratulations, you can make yourself a Baked Alaska with Children Centered goodness.


Macarons with Peanut Butter.


Has feet, relatively smooth shell. It's an improvement from before. Now I don't have to spend $1.60 to eat one. I can just spend 1 hour to make 9 pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment