Monday 27 March 2023

Rejected

After much deliberation, I have decided to turn down the new job offer and my biggest reason is in the fact that I don't think the pay I have asked for is high enough.



Even though I have requested for a higher salary than my current job, it really isn't enough to warrant the kind of stress I will eventually experience again as an Interior Designer. The opportunity to learn from the company is definitely there and that was really what made me consider joining the company during the second interview, just the fact that I could be mentored along the way and really learn how to handle big landed and commercial projects, but a $300 increment to have to go through all that anxiety of being a Project Manager again is just not an increment that I feel is worth it.



The stress I got from my phone buzzing due to messages, and then seeing the notifications...


" Photo"

"Photo"

"Photo"

"Photo"

"Photo"


... as the phone just continues buzzing and buzzing because the clients are sending in a billion photos of a thousand defects they have spotted that requires your immediate attention for rectification works. I just cannot.



And then when you forward those issues to the sub-cons, they tell you it's normal and not considered a defect, so you inform your customer that the sub-con doesn't deem those as defects, but then the customer get suspicious and angrily informs you that they feel like the sub-con is denying responsibility, that they need to fix it because the results are disappointing and they can't accept those "defects", and the sub-con tells you nothing can be done because even if they redo it again, it will end up the same, so since you are stuck in the middle and you are such a people pleaser, you agree with the sub-con and then tell the customer you will give them a discount because of that "defect", the customer ends up calling you to complaint about it, you end up having a chat with them and they finally agree to it begrudgingly, so you end up losing a few hundred dollars from your commission.


To go through that kind of stress is going to have to be more than a $300.00 monthly increment from my current salary range. If I have to go through that kind of shit, I should be asking at least $4,000.00 per month to justify the anxiety I will be putting myself through again, and this is just for the work related stress, this doesn't include the travelling I will have to do, the longer working hours, and the additional 0.5 day that I have to work in a week even though it's deemed as optional.


This ringtone is trauma inducing. When I hear it at work now because some of our delivery movers have this as their ringtone for their Samsung phone, it triggers my fight or flight response. 



So of course, another reason is the 5.5 days work week, after working a 6 day work week at the bakery back in 2014, I now strictly adhere to a 5 day only work week policy whenever I look for a new job, anything that is more than 5 days, even if the additional day is considered optional, is way too much. An additional 0.5 days is still considered 6 days to me because you are already ruining my off day by requiring me to report to work, whether it's only for 4 hours or for the full 9 hours.



And then the weekly grind of having to report to work from Monday - Friday, 8.30am - 6pm, and Saturday from whatever half day timing to whatever half day timing, I don't think I can revert back to that kind of work schedule, all that build up towards your day off, and then it's back to work again the next 6 days. 



Plus having an 8.30am - 6pm working hours feels a bit long for an office job, that is the same working hours as my current job, but at least I don't have to go through 5 days straight of work before I get to enjoy my off day. 



The other con to this position is the location, which is located all the way at Tai Seng, which is pretty much considered East side, to commute daily from the West to the East, if I had a car, it wouldn't be so painful, but to have to take public transport during the peak hour rush in the morning and then to have to go through that again in the evening every weekday, to be fighting for a squeeze in the train, that's something I haven't done that in a very long time and it's an experience I don't plan to do again anytime soon. 




This is the second proper job offer I have turned down since working at my current company, third if I also include this ID firm but I don't really consider this full commission based job as a proper job offer because literally anyone can join them


As much issues as I have with my current job, there is still a certain level of comfort that I enjoy from it because it is less stressful than my previous positions, and that is very difficult for me to simply let go of. That is why I was hoping during the my weekend shift that something will trigger me and piss me off enough to leave the company, but nothing did, everything went as smoothly as weekend shifts can go and I even made a $10,000 sales on Saturday.


At this rate, I feel like I am probably going to be stuck here for a while longer. 

.

.

.

.

.

fuck.



For now, I will just focus on doing my current job properly and also look forward to my solo Taiwan trip in May, just slightly more than a month left! 



Looking for a new job will probably commence at the end of the year or beginning of next year after my final Reservist cycle is over because that was something that concerned me as well, the final cycle is going to be 3 weeks along and I really do not want to relive that 3 weeks worth of anxiety inducing moment again! To be stuck in camp, unable to do anything while shit is going on at my project site, no thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment