Saturday 1 September 2018

Produce 48 Rigged

A week of reservist has gone by and it has been a really busy one.


Due to a severe lack of manpower at the base, reservist personnel are given almost the maximum amount of duty time possible, so the sleep I got while I was in base was pretty sporadic. I don't think I actually had any proper sleep there, none of the "7 hours of uninterrupted rest" , they were more like short 3 hour power naps, sometimes even lesser than that before I had to get up and prepare for my next duty.



I was mentally exhausted from the irregular sleeping schedule, and when I actually got to book out, I had to deal with work. My first free day was spend meeting clients and dropping by multiple sites to check up on the renovation progress, which pretty much ate up my entire day, and then I had to book in again the following evening and repeat with the almost maximum work load.



Right now, I have a potential client who really wants to sign a contract with me, but I am really not interested to run her project because it is just way too unnecessarily complicated and also because I am planning to leave the career soon.



Off to a very random topic that no one probably cares about.



Lately, I have been following this Korean program called Produce 48, the final episode aired last night and I am not happy with the results.




So in this program, there are 96 contestants who are taking part and vying to debut as a temporary girl group that will be promoting for the next 2 years, and the member of the girl group will be decided solely on the votes made by the Korean viewers because fuck international fans right?




But anyways, what makes this Season of Produce different from the last 2 seasons is the inclusion of Japanese contestants, or more specifically, active Japanese Idols from AKB48, HKT48 etc who have joined the show in hopes to be part of what the show has referred to as a "Global Girl Group", which is complete bullshit, but I will get into that later, as compared to the past when the group would consist of full Korean lineup.



When I first started watching the show, I found myself drawn to certain individuals on the show, the rest of the contestants just didn't really leave too much of an impression and I thought that it may be due the dull personalities of the contestants that gave the producers nothing to air, but then I came across this introduction video of one of the Japanese Contestant on the show's official Youtube page and I thought she was hilarious. She had great variety skills and if that was the case, then the show should have enough content on her to actually air on the show, but oddly enough, there wasn't a lot when the episodes actually aired.





As I continued watching the show week after week, netizens started to point out that there was something going on with the show because certain contestants were getting an unfair amount of screen time compared to others, and that was when I realized that the Japanese contestant that I really liked was barely getting any screen time, and the contestants that I found myself being drawn to early on, they were always highly ranked during the elimination episodes.




Something fishy was definitely going on and that was when viewers realized that the show makers were purposely pushing for certain individuals by giving them an obscene amount of screen time compared to the other contestants and they were trying to manipulate viewers into voting for the girls that the show makers wanted into the final group.




The realization just made me completely dislike all the girls who were being pushed by the show makers because that was extremely unfair to the other contestants and I found myself showing great disdain towards them, and so did a bunch of netizens because towards the end of the show, during the final few rounds of elimination, all the girls who were being blatantly pushed by the show makers saw their ranks slowly dropping and eventually one of them actually got eliminated. People were getting sick of those girls and they started voting for the underdogs instead and it was honestly so satisfying seeing the ranks change so drastically and have the show actually not go according to how the show makers intended for it to go.




So as the popular girls ranking started to drop, more talented individuals actually started to fill up the top spots and for a while, international fans who couldn't vote were really pleased with the results, I knew I was because the girls who were in the top positions actually deserves their place, they did not get in because the show makers manipulated the audience to vote for them.



Then the final episode aired last night and this is the final line up.




Just to do a small breakdown....


Rank 1, Rank 4, Rank 5

They were given an obscene amount of screen time as compared to the other contestants throughout the entire season, and when viewers realized what was happening, they stopped voting for them and these girls had their ranks drop pretty significantly after, so how the fuck did they end up in the final line up ?


Rank 2.

Miyawaki Sakura, she is extremely popular in Japan and was actually predicted to get first place, I was hoping for her to get first place as well, but then she got usurped by the Rank 1 and a lot of people are extremely unhappy about the it, as evident from the like to dislike ration on the announcement video on Youtube


The winners from the first season were there to witness the atrocity and I also decided to contribute to the video by giving it a thumbs down.


The problem with the Rank 1 is she didn't have any stand out moments in the show, aside from being extremely young and making older guys like myself feel like a pervert for even thinking that she is really pretty. She isn't horrible but she isn't amazing at what she does, she doesn't have the stage presence Sakura has and I am honestly baffled. In the previous 2 seasons, when the rank 1 were announced, the general reaction was...




"Saw that coming, he/she deserves that spot."




... it is like asking people to take a poll about their favorite Ice Cream Flavor and expecting Vanilla or Chocolate to come out top, but then get presented with Rambutan.  Rambutan is great, but why the fuck would it be on top? Where the fuck did Strawberry go? Or Cookies & Cream, how the hell did Rambutan beat Chocolate Mint?



I don't really have much to say about the other winners, the final line up is pretty bad, this was supposed to be a Global Girl Group, but there are only 3 Japanese Members against 9 Korean Members.


I think something really fishy is going on because all the girls the show makers were pushing for actually got in, even though their ranks were falling in the earlier episodes because of the controversy, why would their ranks suddenly spike up when people were clearly no longer actively voting as much any longer.



Not really sure how the group will fare, I was happy when the Rank 12 got in, but then now I feel kinda bad for her because this group is now facing quite a bit of backlash because the final lineup isn't what a lot of people were expecting, which is ironic because the members in the final group are supposed to be determined by the viewers themselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment