Friday 23 September 2016

Interview Update.

So it has been a week and I haven't received any calls or emails from the 2 places I had gone for my job interview.


To be honest, I knew I wasn't going to get the Commercial Interior Design position pretty much during the interview, but the Sales one, that I am surprised. Although I think it would be hard for the boss to pick me, considering I am male and all the worker he has hired, as far as I could tell when I went for my interview, are all female.



The company actually wasn't offering me much in terms of monetary benefits, from the lack of a basic pay to the need to have to pay an additional fee for successfully closing projects, all it sounds like it is doing is taking money from their designers rather than rewarding them for a job well done, plus, most importantly, I didn't really like the boss very much, apart from just looking bored during the interview, he came across as a ungenerous boss, the lack of basic pay is one thing, but when asked if there was going to be any sort of profit sharing involved, he just goes...



"I hate profit sharing, I really hate it."



Profit sharing is essentially the sharing of profits between 2 designers, this is quite common in the industry for the newcomers because since they are not trained yet to handle a project on their own, normally they will be assigned to help out a senior designer with an ongoing project, the profit gained from that particular project will then be split between the senior designer and the newcomer.



As someone who doesn't have any solid experience with Sales Designing, naturally, I would have to help out a senior designer in his projects first to get an idea of how the whole management of a project would be like, but because this boss hates profit sharing, that would mean the new designers, won't get a single cut of the profit for helping out the senior designer. So there will be work for the first few months, you just won't get paid for doing it because he really hates profit sharing.




And something else that I had forgotten to blog about about the interview was when he came to the part about taking MC, he was very adamant about MC not being claimable, I mean come'on, you're not even really forking out any money to pay the designer, I wouldn't expect you to be generous enough to let your workers claim medical bills.



The only reason why I was so enticed with the position was because I didn't have to use AutoCAD or 3DS Max, I didn't have to attend exhibition and it is a 5 day work week, those are the only reasons why I wanted that position, everything else being offered that really mattered on the other hand is really pretty shit.



It's better for me to talk complete shit about the company right now, it just makes the rejection so much easier, but I really didn't like the boss.



What I've done now is apply for another job as a Sales Designer at another firm, hopefully I can score an interview with them and see what they have to offer, a basic salary with commission would be a nice start.



I'm also waiting to see more new job offers pop up on Jobstreet and JobsDB, the current few companies that are currently hiring workers are kinda bad, so just waiting for the right one to pop up before I apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment