Sunday 7 June 2015

Accepted

I haven't really been driving a lot lately.


After passing my Traffic Police Test, I thought I would be driving at every possible opportunity, but that's not the case because as it turns out, I can't park for shit in a real car park, there are no markings on the road telling me when I should turn or points on my Mum's car I could look out for.


The first day I took my Mums' car for a test drive, around the parking lot because I don't like living life on the edge, I accidentally brushed her car against another car as I was trying to park, just a gentle brush, there weren't any noticeable dents or scratch marks, but it scared me enough to want to quickly get the fuck out of the car park, I was even deciding at that time whether or not I should park the car somewhere else, in case there were actually scratch marks, but I decided not to because I was scared I might end up actually damaging another car.



So the past 2 weeks, I have been driving quite a bit, not as often as I should be, but enough to have me throw all the rules of driving out the window, things like signalling before changing lanes or checking my blind spot before I make a turn, I mean I still try to do them if I remember to, but most of the time, when I am changing lanes and there's literally no other cars in sight, it just feels kinda stupid to signal to the non-existent car behind me to let them know I want to switch to the left lane where all the noob drivers reside.



Driving updates aside, I've officially been accepted into SIM Global Education. That's a good thing I guess, but I didn't really feel the need to share it with anyone I unless they ask me about it.





A few days back, I met up with an Army buddy for dinner at Westgate. I have been going to the Jurong East area a lot recently, the place is starting to bore the fuck out of me.


Anyways, I suggested for us to dine at this restaurant I used to work at about a year ago, I worked at the Bugis branch and decided it would be nice to visit the Westgate branch.



I was actually a bit nervous about visiting the restaurant because I wasn't sure if anyone remembered me, it would be awkward if they didn't and I assume they did, went "Hi, what's your face?" and have them stare back at me with utter confusion as to who the fuck I am.




But the moment I walked up to the restaurant, I was greeted by the manager who had this surprise look on her face and she went....



"Woah! Who are you?"



...in a good way of course, I smiled back, greeted her and we were led to a table, I normally like sitting at a corner table, so being send to a table smack in the middle of the restaurant with customers on my right, left, front and back, it really wasn't my ideal location.



Having worked there in the past, I knew the items were always on the pricier side, and despite the restaurant serving bigger portions to compensate for the price, $16 for a meal seems a bit much, and I realize that when went in as as a paying customer. Calculating the total cost in my head made me realize how expensive the items really were when combined together.



I had originally wanted to order a main dish, a drink and a dessert, but after realizing that just ordering the main dish and the smoothie would set me back by $20, ordering the dessert, priced at $14, just seemed a bit excessive, if my meal is above $30, that's a bit too much for me to handle, so I decided to just skip dessert, again. It's always disappointing that I have to skip desserts every time I visit a restaurant, even though I am a dessert person because I'm either too full or the total cost is too expensive but most of the time it's because others have no interest ordering desserts and I don't want to be the only one enjoying my dessert as they stare at me like it's a mukbang.



I ordered a Peanut Butter Banana smoothie, which arrived first and it was fucking delicious, but I think they made the servings smaller, so I was nursing the drink to let it last until my meal actually arrvied. I tried recreating the drink at home yesterday, it didn't come out very well because I was too generous with the peanut butter and ended up getting a smoothie that had a very claggy finish, it was like the smoothie didn't want to slide down my throat and was desperately sticking on there for it's dear life. The one I ordered on the other hand had a nice balance of banana and peanut butter, it had a nice consistency that wasn't too thick nor too watery and the peanut bits gave the drink a nice crunch.



The Mac and Cheese I ordered was also fucking delicious. I normally don't like cheese items, but if they are baked and melted in the oven over pizza, or in this case pasta, those rancid smelling yuckies become something else entirely. I think from now on, I might actually start ordering Mac and Cheese at restaurants that serves them, of course they must be baked and have a nice golden and slightly charred crispy cheesy layer on top.



When my friend and I went to pay the bill, the manager was really nice and gave us a 10% discount, we chatted a bit and she introduced me to the cashier as the "Ex-Pastry Boy" who worked at the restaurant a very long time ago. The managers and waiters whom I worked with were all really nice to me when I was working there, so I have a very good impression of the service crew, the kitchen crew on the other hand, some of them are nice to me, others never really felt the need to get acquainted with me, but there were a few that I didn't really enjoy working with because they just didn't know how to keep their cool.



I had a really good time dining there and would probably return again just to have the desserts, it would be nice to have the dessert be prepared for me instead of the other way around because spelling it the other way round is stressed. Gosh, I'm so witty and funny.







After the meal, me and my friend took a stroll around the JEM and Westgate a bit, we spend most of the time walking around Fair Price going through the different aisle, not really getting anything, and when my legs got tired from aimlessly walking around Fairprice, we settled at Baskin Robbins to have a cup of Ice Cream to do more catching up, at this point my back was already starting to really stink, I could smell the stench from my backpack as I removed it  from from shoulders, it was bad and I felt really self conscious as well,  I also saw my BMT sergeant there, I didn't feel obligated to say hi so I just looked at him from a distance and tried to avoid eye contact. We are facebook friends but we weren't close in real life so there was no point really to go up to him, say Hi and not expect the conversation to be awkward at all, he probably wouldn't even recognize me at all with a full set of hair.




After the ice cream, we parted ways and I had to drag my smelly back home to clean the stench off myself and the bag by spraying a generous amount of deodorant all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment