Monday 2 May 2022

Not a good VM

Had to go to work today on Hari Raya and this isn't the first time I have had to work during a holiday, but for some reason, being at work today just felt really shitty.



I guess a bit of it had to do with the fact that one of my colleague had indirectly told me that I was not doing a good job as the VM of the store because I wasn't allowing her to sell our Showroom furniture. She was ranting to me about her lack of sales the past few months but her rant somehow ended up targeting me because me not allowing her to sell showroom pieces is apparently a reflection of my capabilities as a VM. 


She has this extremely selfish mentality and the reason I told her why I couldn't let her sell the pieces we have on the Showroom floor is because we do not have similar pieces in the Warehouse to replace those in the store. But she doesn't get it.



When I think of the Showroom in the store, I think of this...




...every piece of furniture in each setting is specially selected to compliment each other, if you sell one piece, you are going to ruin the entire setting. So if you want to sell that sofa, you don't tell me...



.. we have this yellow sofa in the Warehouse that we can use to replace the Showroom sofa. It doesn't match, the size is wrong, the color is wrong, the design is wrong. 



I honestly thinks that the vision she has for the store's Showroom is something like this...


...she has that "whatever we can bring in, we should bring in" mentality because all she wants to do is sell as much pieces as possible so she can get her commission.


She is from the older batch of sales people that still enjoys the commission scheme and the truth is, not a lot of people in the store have a lot of respect for her despite her seniority in the company because she is quite a selfish individual and this was not something I took notice of until I became the store's VM and have to deal with her constant...



"Can I sell this" despite already telling her it cannot be sold" 


...messages, and when I tell her she cannot sell those items because we want it to be displayed, she will complaint to me about her lack of sales and then take that opportunity to tell me that the VM isn't doing a good job.



She is very aware that I am the VM, she just doesn't use the pronoun "you" when expressing her dissatisfaction about me as the VM of the store. 




The reason she thinks the VM isn't a good job is because it's the VM's job to be flexible enough to make the furniture pieces work together if something gets sold off the floor. 


If she wants to sell the 2 seater sofa in the living room setting and all I have left in the Warehouse is a 15 meter Dining Table, it's my job to make that 15 meter dining table work in the living room setting because I am the VM.




Annoying.



Also, I really want to quit and return to Interior Design again because this job is starting to feel very meaningless. I thought becoming the store's VM would change that, but it hasn't, especially when I have to deal with people like her who only thinks about things from her own point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment