Tuesday 19 October 2021

Meddlesome

I will admit I am pretty much 1 foot out of my current company's door at this moment in time and it really sucks that I am now on Jobstreet again looking for new jobs to apply for. 



The past few weeks have just been extremely demoralizing for me personally because I was simply not performing at all and I honestly do believe that my sales for this month will actually be $0, which is a concern I shouldn't even be having because I did not apply for a sales position to begin with, I applied to be an Interior Stylist and it makes me very upset that I am feeling so inadequate for trying to do a job that was falsely advertised.



My fellow newbie colleague has really been killing it at work recently and a lot of the inadequacy I am feeling right now is because of his performance. The comparison  between our performances will be inevitable and it just sucks that I am going to have to compete against someone that I think has the potential to become the top sales person in the company against the current group of sales associates that we have. 



He is aware that I have been feeling the pressure because of him lately and he is trying to help me as well. which I really appreciate, but his method of helping today annoyed me quite a bit and if he does it again, I will have to ask him to stop doing it.



What essentially happened was I decided to approach a customer and asked if she needed any help, she then shares what she was looking for and we started having a conversation, as she was moving towards another section of the showroom, my colleague decided to interject and started talking to her, which was completely unnecessary and even though I knew he had good intentions, it was a bit rude to just suddenly hijack the conversation, which was exactly what he did when he went up to her and said...



"Oh, I am curious to learn what are you looking for, do you have a floorplan, I'm just asking because we offer styling services and my colleague Tim can help you with the space planning because he is a designer."



... why are you cutting in? Why are you speaking on my behalf, I can speak for myself. I feel that the general rule of thumb in sales is IF someone speaks to a customer first and engages in conversation with them, then you DO NOT interject unless you have been introduced into the conversation by the person who spoke to them first. 



I was really not happy when he did that and if I hadn't been wearing my mask, my annoyance would have shown on my face very clearly, and then he goes...



"You could leave your contact details with Tim and we can keep in touch?"



... like actually just keep quiet, you talking on my behalf just makes me look extremely inadequate, and at that point, I think the customer could sense that I was not very happy with my colleagues interjection, so she just went...



"Errr, it's okay, I will just talk to Tim directly."



... and then she came towards me and we started talking again. She asked a lot of technical questions that a normal customer would never ask, so that was how I kinda guess she was a mystery shopper. I did my best and introduced her to as much items as possible to try and score some points for the evaluation, and after she left, I just couldn't be fuck with the rest of the walk-ins anymore and just let my colleague handle them all, since he wants to talk to my customer, I shall let him talk to all the other customers.



I am honestly very curious what the mystery shopper will write about my colleague's interjection. I really hope she does write about it so it and my supervisor can highlight it to him because what he did was not even remotely helpful, it was meddlesome and just extremely rude and it could potentially even make me look bad. Even though his intention wasn't to steal, if this was a real customer and the customer ended up building more rapport with him, he would indirectly be stealing the customer from me because they will want to talk to him more than talk to me for future follow ups.



While I do acknowledge his knack for doing sales, I do not want to close a sales because he helped me, we both joined the company at the same time and this is really a matter of pride for me. If I accept his sales, then what does that make me, a pathetic newbie who has to rely on another newbie for sales?



Anyways, I will probably be bringing up my concerns about the position with my boss soon, the part where I was essentially hired for the wrong position, and then either be given a new set of responsibilities that is more aligned with the position I had applied for, or I could get fired.




No comments:

Post a Comment