Sunday 20 November 2016

The seeds of doubt have officially been sowed.

Working from 11.00 am to 9.00 pm the past weekend has been a very mind numbing experience. I spend 80% of my time cooped up in the Showroom office browsing through Pinterest for reference images for a mock project my trainer has given me.



I'm beginning to have doubts about my ability to actually do well as a Sales Designer. It's just not a job for someone with a personality like mine, the way I see my senior designers talk to their clients like they have been friends for years just isn't something I'm capable of doing, I feel exhausted just thinking about having to act the way they do to their clients, making small talk about their client's life, about their children or their vapid interest in watching paint drying.



So far the company has been great, people are friendly and I haven't gotten any scoldings yet, but the thought of having to work from 11.00 am to 9.00 pm everyday from now till Friday is such a buzzkill.



When I first went for my interview, I was told that the work schedule would be as follows...


First Week : 6 Day Work week from 10.00 am to 7.00 pm.

Second Week : 5 Day Work Week from 11.00 am to 9.00 pm.

Repeat


The reason why the second  week is only a 5 day work week is because the employees are expected to work longer hours, I thought that was fair, 6 days of 10.00 am to 7.00 pm and 5 days of 11.00am to 9.00pm, in my head that was all I really remembered, so I roughly thought my schedule would be as follows...


First Week : Monday to Saturday from 10.00 am to 7.00 pm

Second Week : Tuesday to Saturday from 11.00 am to 9.00 pm



I would get a weekend off every week, it would be a relatively fair work-life balance. Turns out that was not the case at all because...



1. 10.00 am to 7.00 pm working hour is only applicable on the weekdays


2. I am only allowed to take my off day on a weekday for my 6 day work week




...which means in the 6 day work week schedule, I will be working two 11.00 pm to 9.00 pm shift, essentially forcing me to work 4 days of 10.00 am to 7.00 pm and 7 days of 11.00 am to 9.00 pm in 2 weeks , I'm working more days of longer hours than I am of shorter.



I really wasn't aware that I would have to work longer hours on the weekend until I was assigned my weekend duties and because of how my week has been planned, I'm actually working long hours from 11.00 am to 9.00 pm for 7 days , 7 freaking days, I thought the upside of working from 11.00 am to 9.00 pm is that we will have lesser working days.



Needless to say, I will probably be waking up on the wrong side of the bed from today till Friday. 5 more days before I get my weekends, I'm also going to have to speak to the HR Personnel and have her schedule my off days more evenly because I don't want to have to go through working 7 days straight from 11.00 am to 9.00 pm again.



Right now my working schedule is as follows should I follow what the HR Personnel has planned out for me...


Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday (10.00 am - 7.00 pm)

Friday (Off)

Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday (11.00 am - 9.00 pm)

Saturday Sunday (Off)


It's nice to have 2 weekends off, but the price of working 7 days straight just isn't worth it.

What I'm planning to propose is...


Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday (10.00 am - 7.00 pm)

Friday (Off)

Saturday Sunday Monday ( 11.00 am - 9.00 pm)

Tuesday (Off)

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday (11.00 am - 9.00 pm)

Sunday (Off)


A much more even planning and I could look forward to having a off day every 3 to 4 days, this is almost similar to how my NS schedule was like, almost, and I probably won't feel so sian about going to work everyday.


I get that the senior designers normally come in everyday because they have clients to meet, but that is their choice, when they are done with the meeting, they either stay back and work on the changes their clients requested or they leave, they are not obligated to stay until 9.00 pm.



A happy employee is a staying employee. If they can't even grant me that simple request then I really doubt I will be able to stay long.


One thing I told myself when I left the bakery was that I wasn't going to get a job that would require me to work a 6 day work week and now look at what I've gotten myself into.

No comments:

Post a Comment