Friday 16 October 2020

Worst Korean Cold Noodles Ever

After settling some final paperwork for a friend's renovation project, I had to drop by another old project to do a favor for the client.



Right after that, I dropped by West Coast Plaza for my dinner because it was just around the corner, I wasn't very hungry because I had eaten quite a late lunch, but decided since I was already in the shopping mall, might as well have something light and settle my dinner. 


Initially, I didn't really know what I wanted to eat, so I walked around and then came across this Korean Restaurant that was selling affordable Korean food, I had tried their items before when I was working on that old project and everything was just painfully average, it isn't real Korean food so my expectations really weren't that high.



I looked at the menu and was contemplating getting either my default Korean food order, which is Kimchi Soup or maybe Ramen, but then my ulcer didn't really think it was a good idea so I ordered their Cold Noodles.



I had this store's Cold Noodles once and from my memory, it wasn't good, but I thought it must have been at least edible, I also ordered a coke and then started sipping on that as I waited for my food to come.




It arrives and then I remembered how bad it was.



Korean Cold Noodles usually looks like this....


I love Korean Cold Noodles, the broth is lightly coloured and flavorful, it is usually served with some iced broth to keep the dish cold for longer, there are cucumber and pear slices thrown in for freshness and an egg and the noodles are nice and chewy.



I wasn't expecting that for this Korean restaurant though, I knew it wasn't good, but when I was presented with the dish, it was even worst than I had imagined it would be.



For starters, the dish itself is not super cold, it is the type of cold you would get when you leave your cold can of coke on the kitchen counter for maybe 10 minutes on a very hot day, the bowl itself was not cold as well because the broth wasn't cold.


The broth colour is completely off, I have no idea why it is so dark but it is and it is actually tasteless until it is swallowed, and you then get this vinegar sourness as an aftertaste, it would be like drinking a can of Vinegar flavored LaCroix that is not cold enough, not carbonated.


The beef is extremely stringy and tough I was worried that it would actually get stuck between my teeth, so I didn't eat too much of it.

The noodles were chewy and tough but they looked like they were cooked for too long and expanded way too much.

The egg, cucumber and carrot slices are probably the most edible part of the dish, and they are the garnish.



To date, this is probably the most disappointing dish I have eaten, my expectations were already low but boy did this dish grab a shovel and dig even lower, the noodles were tasteless, the soup is tasteless, the beef is tough and stringy, like how the fuck did the cooks in the kitchen even think this was up to standard to actually serve to paying customers, it blows my mind how little effort was put into preparing this dish, and they charge $5.50 for this garbage. 



There is absolutely no flavor other than the vinegary aftertaste. It is so bad, the picture above is how much was left of the dish when I decided I could no longer eat it anymore, I remember looking at the table across of me of this lady eating a plate of kimchi fried rice and just feeling jealous that she was at least served something edible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment