Sunday 19 March 2017

Company Event

For the past 2 days, the company has been having an in-house event, where homeowners would sign up days in advance to meet the designers and win some prizes.





Unlike the regular walk-in customers or leads I received from the company, these customers are normally the ones who are actually looking to settle for an Interior Designer and not just out for free quotations, or just aimlessly wandering about Singapore and walking into every other Interior Design firm they come across. 






I was hoping to meet a customer without a lot of renovation requirements, just the simple necessities, because those are the ones who won't be investing a lot of money into their home renovation, they are the one who are easier to convince and sign up with me on the spot, unfortunately for me, I met none of those customers and was instead presented with 3 different couples over the past 2 days, all in their late 20s to early 30s, their head are full of ideas of how they want their home to be and their phones are choked full of reference pictures they have sourced from Pinterest.





The first 2 couples were alright, I spoke to each of them for about an hour, walked them around our showroom, made small talk with them and then bid adieu when I ran out of things to say to them, which was really uncomfortable, which led to an awkward goodbye.





The last couple I spoke to on the other hand was pretty much a disaster waiting to happen, right from the start, I could tell that the wife was really disinterested, and during the consultation session, the husband was the only one with all the ideas, he was the one who truly wanted to beautify his home, the wife would chime in occasionally with this "I'm annoyed because I'm confused" look on her face, made worse by that annoyed tone in her voice, I really have no idea why the wife was even present, so after a while, I just focused my attention on the husband and tried my best to ignore the wife's presence until she interjects.





After a rather lengthy discussion with the husband of the renovation works he wants to do in the Living room and the Kitchen, with his wife occasionally yawning away in the background, we move on to the renovation works he wants to do in the Master Bedroom.





Husband : So I am looking to do a platform bed for our Master Bedroom.





And we discuss about it for about 15 minutes when the wife's' soul suddenly returns back to her body, and she questions me in a rather impatient tone...





Wife : What is the point of the platform? 


Me : Well, you either do it for aesthetics or for extra storage space.


Wife : But the platform is so low for storage, what is the point then? Just for aesthetics? And why go for platform, our ceiling is already very low, won't putting a platform make our room feel smaller?




... HELLO! Wake up! Your husband was the one who wanted to do the platform, I'm simply suggesting on what you can do with the platform YOUR husband wanted.




And how tall do think you are to have to worry about a 2.3 meter floor to ceiling height being too low?



She made it sound like I was the one who had suggested the platform to them, like introducing the platform bed to them was my way of earning more from their project.



Please! The last thing I want to do is handle your project, so no, I'm not trying to make more money from you because I don't want to make your fucking money.



I did not appreciate the accusatory tone she was using against me.



I actually spoke to them for 2 fucking hours and it was so agonizing. I actually feel really bad for the husband because I can tell that he really wanted to share his ideas with me to make sure what he had envisioned in his head will be translated clearly to me, but every time I turn to my right and see his wife at his side, looking so disinterested and yawning away, I just wanted them to go away and never contact me again because I just can't deal with the wife's attitude.





She looks like the type that will leave a scathing review of me online if her project doesn't go smoothly. Had the husband come on his own and shared his ideas with me, I would have been more opened to actually helping him, I would have been more interested and would view him as a potential client because he was easy to talk to, but alas, he decided to bring that which he married along, so all I will be doing is dropping them an overpriced quotation and hope that they will be petrified away by it.



They are not the kind of client I want to deal with for my first project. Just No! So....


Buh Bye~


----



I recently receive another customer lead from the HR in my company and I really don't like customers who write shit like...



"You have been invited to quote us for our renovation works."





Invited? Wow! What a fucking honor it is for me to be able to do a FREE quotation for you. Did I mention that you get the quotation FOR FREE!?!?!




No comments:

Post a Comment