Thursday 26 March 2015

Cake Post

I decided to bake some carrot cake cupcakes yesterday, it was meant to be baked the day before out of sheer boredom from doing absolutely nothing at home, but I was out of cinnamon powder, so I had to postpone the baking to yesterday after I was able to obtain a few scoops of the orange spice from my Aunt.


Carrot Cake Cupcakes.


And it was a good thing I did, omitting the cinnamon powder in the recipe would have been catastrophic and the amazing recipe I found would have probably just went into the shit bin in my head, where all the other horrible and useless recipes I found online resides. This cupcakes were amazing, I could taste the cinnamon in every bite, very subtle but very necessary. 



I never was a fan of the carrot cake in the past because all the ones I had were always the really dense and hard variation, filled with raisins and walnuts and then covered with a tad too much cream cheese frosting, which were always never sweet enough for me, the kind you are able to get from places like coffee shops like Coffee Bean or Starbucks, places that sells cakes but they just aren't very good.



And then I had the mini carrot cake loaf from my old bakery and they were amazing, soft and moist on the inside, always warm when I had them because there were freshly baked out of the oven and I never had the cream cheese squirted on them because most of the time, the ones I had were from the reject pile that either had too little batter and were way too low to sell or had too much batter it started to overflow out of it's case during the baking process, sometimes my friend would be really nice and just leave one or two aside for me so I could bring them home to consume. 





The other carrot cake I had that I really enjoyed was the one from Plain Vanilla Bakery. Also like the one from my old bakery, soft and moist, but this time frosted with their always amazing butter cream. I actually felt joy when I started eating the cupcake, like this sense of euphoria starting rushing through me, it was really weird, but as long as it's not an erection, that's fine.



So when my carrot cupcakes came out from the oven, I decided to break open a piece to see how it looked like on the inside, did it rise properly, is it soft, does it taste good, because I've got to be honest, I wasn't really expecting much from the recipe, because all the other recipes I have tried from this particular Youtuber has been really disappointing, but this recipe actually worked, and it exceeded my expectations.




When I ate the cupcake on it's own, it really reminded me of the one I had from Plain Vanilla, and initially I was contemplating which buttercream to make, should I stick with the Swiss Meringue Buttercream or American Buttercream.... make the latter and have a dozen (minus one I broke apart to taste test) cupcakes that were on par with the one from Plain Vanilla Bakery, the choice here was pretty obvious.



I made some cakes a few weeks back, not regular cupcakes but whole cakes and I used Swiss Meringue Buttercream for both of them, and the main reason I made SMBC was so my parents could enjoy them, they aren't fans of the super sweet American Buttercream so I had to compromise because I'm not a huge fan of SMBC for it's lack of sweetness and it's inability to crust.

Milo Dinosaur




It's a Milo sponge with Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream, and Milo Dinosaur because I sprinkled a lot of Milo powder in between the layers, it was like an overload of Milo powder.


My Dad ate a small slice of it and said it was too sweet, my Mum said she wanted to try but never did, my siblings didn't even touch it, I had no choice but to try and finish the entire cake, but I could only eat half of it before it started drying out in the fridge.




A few days later I decided to bake again, this time a Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake.

Salted Caramel Chocolate


Once again, using Swiss Merignue buttercream because I thought my parents would maybe want to have a slice of it.


In between each sponge layer is Caramel Buttercream and a generous spread of homemade caramel sauce, sounds really good, looks really good and it got me 32 likes on Instagram, the most amount of likes I have ever gotten on my Instagram account.


No one in my family ate the cake, not one person, I was the only one who ate the cake and like the Milo cake, I had no choice but to throw it away after it started to dry out in the fridge, I managed to consume like 80% of the cake.


The main reason why I didn't eat the entire cake was because I just didn't like the SMBC, it wasn't sweet enough for me, which in the end just tasted like slightly sweetened whipped up butter, and it left this really greasy feel in my mouth after every bite.



So for the carrot cake, I decided to just go for the buttercream I would actually enjoy, and that was the American Buttercream, just butter with a lot of icing sugar and like a little bit of cream cheese for authenticity, I couldn't even taste the cream cheese but because there's actually cream cheese inside the recipe, it's technically a cream cheese frosting.


I just didn't see the point in compromising the sweetness level of the buttercream if the people I am compromising the sweetness level for isn't even going to eat the cake.



Awesome Cream Cheese Buttercream



And I went ahead and made a Vanilla Cream Cheese (American) Buttercream, and it was so good, tasted like the one I had from Plain Vanilla, and because the frosting will crust, I didn't have to put it in the fridge, which allowed the cakes to remain soft and moist, it was awesome.



I've already eaten probably like 6 of it, and it's not to quickly get rid of  them "before they all dry out in the fridge" like all my other cakes, I'm eating it because it's actually really good.



From now on, whenever I am baking at home, I'm just going to stick to American Buttercream because that's how I like the frosting on my cakes, super sweet and soft, albeit a little grainy, but that's better than taking it out from the fridge, cold, hard and really just not sweet enough for this cavity laden individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment