Wednesday 13 June 2012

Red Velvet

Found a great red velvet recipe a week back and decided to test it out. 


I'm not feeling very charitable today so not gonna link the recipe anywhere here. The only tip I can give to people who are looking for any sort of recipes online is to NEVER EVER trust cupcake recipes given by famous cupcake stores like DC Cupcakes and Magnolia Cupcakes. I mean their recipe is their livelihood, they are gonna want you to go to their store to get the cupcakes, not to a local supermarket to get ingredients to make their cupcakes.


I tried both of them which I found online and they were obviously tweaked, the cupcakes come out very dry and the insides look like solid batter. 



Didn't want to use this picture but I didn't have any other left. Was gonna take one nicer one but my Mum ate the last one.


I thought my Red Velvet was good enough, well it's not mine per se but I did tweak the recipe a little bit, until I went to Bugis yesterday to buy cupcakes from Twelve Cupcakes because they opened a new outlet at Bugis recently and since I was around the area, decided to buy half a dozen.


6 small size cupcakes for $17. I don't know if it's worth it but the cupcakes were freaking good. the cake base was really light and fluffy and the buttercream didn't have the butter taste nor the oiliness that my cream cheese frosting has, I suspect they use Swiss Meringue Buttercream but I'm not sure because I haven't had the balls to try making that yet. But the serving was way too small, finished a whole cupcake in 5 bites. And I only had 2 because I gave 4 to my family.


For comparison sake, and also to put up more pictures from my Instagram library, this is a cupcake from Delifrance.... and it's not very nice.


I like how the cupcake look but seriously, how the hell is someone going to stuff the cake in their mouth if the frosting is piped to reach the heavens. Their frosting is really thick as well, not good.



Anyways. After buying my cupcake yesterday, as I was making my way to the bus stop via the underground passage, I decided to go withdraw some money, and I guess because realizing I was slightly loaded, this old man decides to come up to me and ask for 2 dollars to take a ride home. When I say old I mean like around 60 years old, wrinkly enough to be considered old but not old enough that I would give up my seat to him.



I didn't have any spare change with me so I couldn't spare him any, all I had were like 10 cents and 20 cents coin that didn't even total up to a dollar and I wasn't going to give him my freshly withdrawn $50 notes, so I told him I didn't have any money, and he actually sort of gave me a small chase afterwards and kept calling out to me as I speed walk my way to the escalator . Felt a little bit bad afterwards.



I have actually given money to some old guy on the road before because he had no lunch money, plus he really looked like he could  use some help.  He legs were like hock jointed so he walked like a chicken.


I kept thinking of this Manga that I read and I keep thinking he's probably super fast because the main character with that leg is super fast, of course I don't think that's possible .... or is it.



Oh, and I was also confined for 2 hours yesterday in camp because someone threw away a blanket issued by the army into the bin and no one admitted it so everyone was punished. A lot of people were obviously pissed off about it, I was pretty neutral because I really had nothing better to do at home anyway. It sounds really sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment