Monday 2 January 2012

Marmite Spaghetti Tested

Today for lunch, my mother decided to make Pasta with Butter and Spices with Prawns. Well I don't like butter because it smells like sweaty socks so unless it's being used in some baked goods, I would usually avoid anything slathered in butter, apart from my Oreo Cupcake icing.


So I decided, since I had Pasta and Marmite, I thought I would follow a Nigella Lawson recipe which is essentially Pasta in Marmite Sauce. Took out all the ingredients, realised I had to use a think slab of butter, followed the recipe anyway because I really wanted to try this recipe for a while now but was simply to lazy too, plus now I had a valid reason, I had to make lunch even though my Mum has already prepared one for me.



"Oh what about those poor people in Africa?"
I care for the people in Africa, that's why I'm not going to ship them the Pasta my Mum made over unless thier stomach can handle Fungus Pasta with Maggots filled Prawns.



I have followed a few recipes from Nigella and many a times I have doubted her recipes because the Churros recipe I followed  last time was a disaster because she OBVIOUSLY gave the wrong measurements in the video. No amount of stirring is going to make a watery batter thick, unless you are stirring if for so long the liquid in the batter are evaporating, by that time your arms would probably be moving based solely on muscle memory.


I took out the butter, Marmite and cooked the pasta in what Nigella would say "water as salty as the Mediterranean". Melted the butter and stirred in the Marmite, pouring a bit of pasta water into it. After seeing the bubble boil in the butter and Marmite mixture I quickly poured it into the cooked pasta, first thing that I realized was that I probably put in a little too much Marmite because the pasta looked a bit darker than what Nigella one had appeared.


And after taking the first bite I realized I had probably just preserved my stomach with the salt from the Marmite. Threw the whole thing away after a few spinning forks full of it. The only reason I took more than 1 spinning fork full of it was because I thought maybe I needed time to adjust to the Marmite.


It's not the recipe fault, it was my eyeballing at the amount of Marmite to put into the Marmite sauce. And with that I have come to the conclusion that I do not enjoy Marmite as much as I thought it would.


I'm just wondering how does one enjoy Marmite on bread, that sounds gross unless of course it's on toast, because putting anything on toast is yummy, even that yellow gloopy stuff that smells like smelly socks called butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment