Friday 7 December 2018

A Wild Sly Fox Appears

And so the Sly Fox has returned to my life once again.

He had some issues and I had to drop by his place to assess those problems, I was a bit annoyed that I have to deal with him again, but also a  little excited to see how the house looks now that it is fully furnished.



Well, my excitement was for naught.


As a designer, I am almost ashamed to say I was the one responsible for his renovation works, because of how disappointing the place looked from a design standpoint.



I really didn't do a lot for Sly Fox place, it was mostly freshening up the place with a new coat of paint and flooring works, the place looks great when I was done with it, when it was still empty, the before and after wasn't huge, but it  was definitely noticeable that it had been revitalized. I had essentially left him with a blank canvas to work with in terms of styling when the house was officially handed over, him and his wife had a really neutral color palette to work with and with the openness of the space along with the new wooden grained flooring, it was just screaming for a Scandinavian themed styling, but the end product I saw was nothing like what I had envisioned, nothing close to the 3D I had send to them that would maybe give them a hint as to the colour scheme of the furniture I was thinking of, a colour scheme that would be complimentary to their space.



I have done quite a fair bit of homes now and even though I am never really satisfied with a lot of my projects, there is at least a modern touch in all of them, when people walk into those apartments, they will KNOW that it was designed in the current era, but Sly Fox's apartment had none of that modernness, the furniture they got just dragged the apartment back to the late 90s, it was like walking into an apartment of a couple who had lived there for the past 20 years because of how cluttered the place looked. Had I been their friend and was invited to their house as a guest for the first time, I would have NEVER believed them had they told me an interior designer was responsible for their renovation.



The place isn't ugly, it just felt like there was no effort at trying to make the place look even look halfway decent and I am just really upset thinking about it because that space had so much potential to actually pull off a Modern Scandinavian theme.



Wasted Potential aside, the recent  issues are now in the midst of getting fixed, hopefully they can be rectified soon because I REALLY do not want to have to deal with this project anymore. I mean Sly Fox isn't being unreasonable, his concerns are completely valid and the fault is with my contractor, but I just really have no interest to deal with him anymore because it seems as though doesn't believe me, like I am trying to shirk responsibility and it is really quite disappointing that that is the impression he has of me.



When I was relaying what my contractor has shared with me about the cause of the problem he was having, Sly Fox keeps questioning my reasoning and telling me it doesn't make sense, that it's hard to accept my excuse, luckily his Mum was there when my contractor popped by, so I told my contractor to explain to his Mum and got her to explain it to Sly Fox.



I actually told his Mum directly that I don't think Sly Fox will believe what I say, to which she could only tell me in Mandarin....



"I don't think he distrust you, he isn't like that."


My contractor was able to convince the Mum of the reasoning, so thankfully she was able to explain to Sly Fox directly, but every time I reiterate the source of the problem, it will never be a convincing response from his end, never a...



 "Oh, I see!" 


... but always be along the line of...



"Okay lor. If you say so."




Overall, the renovation with Sly Fox has just been immensely unsatisfying, it was a good learning experience for me as a Contractor, but definitely not a project I would ever want to tackle again as an Interior Designer.



Sly Fox also gave me a failing grade for my Service when my Marketing requested for his feedback, not really sure what I did to receive that failing grade though, it wasn't really emphasized because it definitely isn't about the Workmanship Quality, that one is a separate category that he also failed me for, but he did give me a good grade for my Professionalism, which is confusing to me because I thought Good Service and Professionalism works hand in hand so the grades for both shouldn't differ that much.




¯\_(ツ)_/¯



Sly Fox use Confusion and it is super effective!

No comments:

Post a Comment