Sunday 1 June 2014

A career switch soon again.

Work has been going well so far, wouldn't say it has gotten better, if anything it's probably gotten worse.



The good thing is that I have all the recipes memorized in my head, so there's no longer any need to refer to the recipe book anymore. That means if I were to open my own shop in the very distant future when I have too much money to spend, I will have bakery quality cakes to create and sell,



The bad thing now is I am starting to feel the dread of going to work to prepare the same cakes over and over again. It was fun in the beginning, mixing cake batters, portioning them out and seeing them rise evenly in the oven, but after a while, it just starts to feel a bit repetitive, so much so that I would rather watch paint dry.




I am no longer learning anything new in the bakery, or learning things that I am interested in.




The urge to leave this job and look for a new one is starting to get stronger everyday, to look for an office job where I don't actually have to work the whole day non stop, a job where I can take a few minutes break from whatever I am doing to surf the net for recreational purposes or go to the toilet and sit down in an empty cubicle for 10 minutes browsing through 9gag and still get paid for it, probably even more than I am earning right now.



So this will probably be the last job I will take as a baker or pastry cook or whatever position I am currently filling because working at the bakery doesn't feel like a real job, it feels like I am working a part time job during the school holidays, something that isn't permanent, something that will give me just enough money to buy the new PS4....  but I am at this point in my life where what I want is not a new PS4, what I want is sufficient money to get a car of my own in the future, to get a house and fill it with enough cats to make me less lonely... or a dog... or a kid from Africa.





When all this "wanting to follow my passion and bake for a career" thing happened, it was definitely something I needed to explore and experience, I mean I went to work in a design firm right after I came out from the army and because I knew I didn't give a career in baking a chance, I ended up regretting that decision and started to hate working there, it also didn't help that people there were generally unfriendly and some quite unbearable, but now that I have tried working in a restaurant and a bakery, I think it's suffice to say that I have given it a real shot, I mean I even went to get a professional certificate for it, which I still hadn't gone to collect yet because the school's admin staff is bloody incompetent.






So I will probably work for 3 more months in the bakery before giving submitting my resignation letter, look for a job in Interior Design, earn a decent living and maybe be able to complete my driving license and own my own car.

No comments:

Post a Comment